This position is scheduled to receive salary range increases on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 – 3.0% increaseMandatory Employee Retirement Contributions will decrease on the following dates:
Effective July 1, 2022 – 0.5% decrease
Salary may be negotiable within the range listed above, based on position requirements and successful candidate's qualifications, subject to appropriate authorization.
This recruitment is open to the public for a minimum of five (5) business days and will remain open on a continuous basis until the needs of the County are met. Applicants are encouraged to apply immediately.
This recruitment is being held to establish an open eligible list to fill current and future Administrative Manager I vacancies with this specialty. This recruitment may also be used to fill positions in similar and/or lower classifications throughout the County of Orange.
COUNTY EXECUTIVE OFFICE
The County of Orange, County Executive Office implements policies of the Board of Supervisors, supports County departments, oversees the County's infrastructure and real estate assets, prepares the annual County budget, and assists the public. County Executive Officer Frank Kim is the highest-ranking appointed executive in the County and works with members of the Board of Supervisors and their staff, elected and appointed department heads and the County's 18,000 employees to oversee the provision of essential government services through 22 departments. The County Executive Office is organized into six divisions: County Operations, Finance, Human Resource Services, Information Technology, Real Estate and Government & Community Relations, which includes Communications.
The Public Information Officer will assist in leading the CEO Communications Team within the Government & Community Relations division of the County Executive Office, providing strategic communications direction and counsel to departments, executives and elected officials, as well as facilitating open and thoughtful engagement with residents and stakeholders. The role will be handling a variety of pivotal assignments including external and internal communications; standardization, best practices and corporate branding; public information and media relations; and developing and implementing strategic communication plans for County initiatives.
The incumbent will report to the CEO Communications Public Information Manager and will serve as a secondary spokesperson for media interactions on behalf of the County, including crisis communications and issues management. Primary responsibilities will involve:
- Crafting a broad range of briefing materials and presentations to facilitate communication of complex issues
- Providing guidance and consultation in the standardization of communication policies within the County to maintain brand consistency
- Producing various internal publications; managing content and messaging on social media
- Collaborating with designers to produce visual materials for presentations
- Overseeing day-to-day activities of CEO Communications and orchestrating special events/projects as assigned
- Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese is a plus, but not required
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & CORE COMPETENCIES
The ideal candidate will have at least three (3) years of experience in public relations, communications, or journalism for a large governmental agency, public relations agency, non-profit, or for profit corporation. The ideal candidate should be experienced in utilizing various communication channels to develop and advertise events, including but not limited to; print and broadcast media, social media, video, websites, events, and official public meetings. Bilingual in Spanish or Vietnamese is a plus, but not required.
In addition, the successful candidate will also have experience and be knowledgeable in the following core competencies:
TECHNICAL EXPERIENCE | TECHNICAL KNOWLEDGE
- Successfully developing and implementing both internal and external communications and community relations programs
- Applying principles and practices of public relations and/or community relations
- Utilizing storytelling techniques to engage the public and inform on various County-related issues
- Utilizing relationships with community groups in Orange County to promote and educate underserved communities on County resources, programs and projects
- Developing and implementing policies and procedures regarding communications, language access for County departments
- Ensuring adherence to policies and procedures relating to communication needs for the County
STRATEGIC PLANNING | ANALYTICAL SKILLS
- Developing communications efforts utilizing effective methods in order to connect with internal and external audiences
- Planning and leading the execution of operational procedures to ensure that projects and deadlines are met
- Effectively analyzing problems and situations before taking corrective actions
- Working independently to manage time wisely and to effectively prioritize multiple, competing tasks
JUDGMENT | PROBLEM SOLVING SKILLS
- Integrating new ideas and contemporary approaches into problem solving
- Gathering, analyzing and applying information skillfully
- Identifying, evaluating, and resolving issues as they arise, using decision-making abilities and technical expertise
- Developing recommendations, proposing solutions, achieving measurable results, and implementing best business practices
COMMUNICATION | ORAL & WRITTEN COMMUNICATION SKILLS
- Preparing and presenting information in person and in writing to County elected officials; management; department heads; staff members; and with private, public, and community stakeholders
- Utilizing effective communication skills to define and communicate strategic Department goals to staff and stakeholders clearly, succinctly, and persuasively
RELATIONSHIP BUILDING SKILLS | INTERPERSONAL
- Utilizing tact, diplomacy, and confidentiality in dealing with difficult and sensitive situations
- Working effectively as part of a team to tackle and resolve issues; providing creative solutions to problems that achieve program and project objectives
- Building effective working relationships with internal and external stakeholders, County elected officials, and staff to ensure departmental goals are accomplished
- Adhering to high ethical standards in all interactions with relevant parties
Click here to learn more about the minimum qualifications for the Administrative Manager I classification as well as the physical & mental requirements and environmental conditions.
Human Resource Services (HRS) will screen all application materials to identify qualified applicants. After screening, qualified applicants will be referred to the next step and notified of all further procedures applicable to their status in the recruitment.
Application Screening (Refer/Non-Refer)
Applications and supplemental responses will be screened for qualifications that are highly desirable and most needed to successfully perform the duties of this job. Only those applicants that meet the qualifications as listed in the job bulletin will be referred to the next step.
Application-Appraisal Panel (AAP) (Refer/Non-Refer)
An Appraisal Panel of job knowledge experts will thoroughly screen and evaluate the application and supplemental questionnaire for job knowledge, competencies, and related experience described above.
Structured Oral Interview (Weighted 100%)
Candidates will be interviewed and rated by panel of job knowledge experts. Each candidate's rating will be based on responses to a series of structured questions designed to elicit the candidate's qualifications for the job.
Based on the Department's needs, the selection procedures listed above may be modified.
All candidates will be notified of any changes in the selection procedure.
Veterans Employment Preference
The County is committed to providing a mechanism to give preferential consideration in the employment process to veterans and their eligible spouses and will provide eligible participants the opportunity to receive interviews in the selection process for employment and paid internship openings. Please click here (Download PDF reader) (Download PDF reader) to review the policy.
Once the assessment has been completed, HRS will establish an eligible list of candidates. Candidates placed on the eligible list may be referred to a selection interview to be considered for present and future vacancies. Only the most successful candidates will be placed on the eligible list.
Please see below for important information regarding COVID 19 related requirements.
The COVID-19 pandemic continues to evolve and laws, regulations, and policies regarding COVID-19 are subject to change. The County of Orange is required to comply with any State or County Public Health Orders which may apply as follows:
- Workers who provide services in certain Medical or High-Risk Settings, may be required to provide proof of full vaccination from COVID-19 or to wear a mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.
- Workers who provide services in certain Health Care Facilities or correctional facility or detention center where health care is provided, may be required to provide proof of vaccination. (Workers may be exempt from this requirement based on religious beliefs or a qualifying medical reason; however, if exempted worker will be required to mask and undergo weekly COVID-19 testing.)
The position for which you are applying may be required to adhere to any applicable State or County Order. You will receive notification of any requirement as it applies to a position.
Email is the primary form of notification during the recruitment process. Please ensure your correct email address is included in our application and use only one email account.
NOTE: User accounts are established for one person only and should not be shared with another person. Multiple applications with multiple users may jeopardize your status in the recruitment process for any positions for which you apply.
Candidates will be notified regarding their status as the recruitment proceeds via email through the GovernmentJobs.com site. Please check your email folders, including spam/junk folders, and/or accept emails ending with "governmentjobs.com" and "ocgov.com." If your email address should change, please update your profile at www.governmentjobs.com.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Click here for additional Frequently Asked Questions.
For specific information pertaining to this recruitment, contact Jeff Hentzen at Jeffrey.Hentzen@ocgov.com or (714) 834-2892
Orange County, as an equal employment opportunity employer, encourages applicants from diverse backgrounds to apply.
More information: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/oc/jobs/3278459/public-information-officer